We are conveniently located between Arlington and Manchester which offer over 60 restaurants within a short drive from the inn. We are happy to help with recommendations and reservations.
Some of our favorites include:
We may be in the mountains, but good shopping and antiquing abound.
- Vermont Country Store - The flagship store in Weston features vintage finds, practical solutions, and excellent food
- Northshire Bookstore - Outstanding, independent bookstore and gift shop
- Orvis - Stunning flagship store focused on fly fishing also has a great apparel and home selection
- The Kitchen Store at JK Adams - JK Adams manufactures its famous cutting boards in Dorset, VT. Their kitchen store is well worth a visit.
- Manchester Designer Outlets - Something for everyone at Manchester's famous outlet stores
The Inn is situated on 10 acres of woodland with open frontage on the Battenkill. Enjoy nature walks and canoe rides without getting behind the wheel. Manchester and Arlington have fantastic recreational centers and golf courses.
Find all levels of hiking and biking in the area. Here are some other options:
- Bromley Mountain - Family downhill skiing and boarding in the winter - alpine slides and more in the summer
- Stratton Mountain - One of Vermont's premiere ski and snowboard destinations. 18 hole golf course in summer
- Magic Mountain - One of the last independent ski areas in Vermont. Zip-line fun in the summer
- Merck Forest - 3100 acre managed forest and educational farm. Great place for cross-country skiing and hiking
- Wild Wings Ski Touring Cente - Groomed cross country ski trails and equipment rental
- Kimberly Farms Riding Stable - Guided, mountain-side horseback riding. Open year-round
Much more than we could ever include here, but a visit to the Shires of Vermont isn't complete without taking in some of the following:
- Hildene - The Lincoln family home and gardens. Be sure to visit the fully-restored Pullman car and the state-of-the-art goat dairy. The gardens and trails are stunning in the summer. Cross country skiing and snowshoeing are offered in the winter.
- Robert Frost Museum - Visit the home of one of Vermont's most-beloved poets
- Bennington Battle Monument - Climb to the top of the 308' Revolutionary War memorial
- Bennington Museum - Dedicated to the preservation of Bennington's colonial past
Arts and Culture
Vermont is an artist's haven. We encourage our guests to visit the galleries and attend some of the spectacular productions offered by our nationally-acclaimed theater festivals.
Farms and Markets
Farm-to-table is not a new concept in Vermont - it's the way things have always been. There are more farms and markets than we could ever mention here - we'll help you find what you are looking for.
Ye Olde Tavern
Vermont Country Store
Manchester Designer Outlets
Merck Forest & Farmland
Bennington Battle Monument